Sunday 15 July 2012

Tinted Undercoat Required

My fascination with colour gradation and transition means that no visit to the hardware store is complete without swinging by the paint department to ogle its racks of swatches and sample cards.
Tinted Undercoat Required, which I finished last week, is nothing more than an excuse (if one were needed) to pick up and play with some ninety of these swatches. The result is a huge (for me) concertina book that stands over half a metre tall and stretches out to over two metres in length. The book has been made using covered box board panels and strips of gros grain ribbon for the hinges - a method of construction that frees the binder from the scale and accuracy constraints inherent in more traditional forms of the concertina binding.

2 comments:

  1. you had me at PAINT SWATCH (hee hee hee)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantabulous Terence! I just finished my paint swatch book too - snap!

    ReplyDelete